‘Blood brothers’ celebrate stem cell transplant


Craig Johnson (left) with stem donor Henrik Janssen

Their last names are practically identical. They are both fathers, and their oldest sons, now 6’3, were born on the same day – just two hours apart. “Blood brothers” Craig Johnson and Henrik Janssen had much to celebrate recently.

When Johnson came home from a typical day of work, he could sense that something was different. It was his 40th birthday, and after his wife, Toni, greeted him, he was astonished to see the stem cell donor who saved his life nearly six years ago. Henrik Janssen, along with his wife Berit and three children, had just arrived in Boston from their hometown outside of Frankfurt, Germany.

This was going to be a birthday Johnson would never forget.

Johnson came to Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center after a lump under his arm led to a diagnosis of blastic natural killer-cell lymphoma, an extremely rare form of cancer. After undergoing several rounds of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, Johnson’s only hope for recovery was a stem cell transplant. With no match in his family, he turned to the National Marrow Donor Program at Dana-Farber. In less than a month, Dana-Farber had found him a match.

Johnson had his stem cell transplant in 2006, and has since led a healthy life with his wife and four children.

Every year, more than 35,000 patients are diagnosed with lymphoma, leukemia, or other diseases that are sometimes treated by stem cell transplants. Only 30 percent of those who need a transplant will find a donor whose tissue type matches their own – usually a family member. The remaining 70 percent must turn to the unrelated donor registry.

Janssen was inspired to join the registry when he attended a bone marrow drive in Germany for a young girl with leukemia, three years before he was matched with Johnson. “The registration process was so easy, and I thought, even if I am not a match for this girl, there might be someone else out there who I can help,” says Janssen.

“The best proof this process works is right here in Craig. He is healthy, and his family is happy. I just hope maybe they can visit us one day, too.”

To join the Be The Match Registry® of the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) at Dana-Farber or obtain more information, call 866-875-DFCI (3324) or 617-632-2561 or email nmdpdonor@dfci.harvard.edu.


Comments Sort By Newest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Blue Captcha Image


Make An Appointment

For adults: 877-442-3324

Quick access: Appointments as soon as the next day for new adult patients

For children: 888-733-4662

All content in these blogs is provided by independent writers and does not represent the opinions or advice of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute or its partners.

Latest Tweets

Dana-Farber @danafarber
For Young Cancer Survivor, Holidays Bring New Hope - https://t.co/Sy2377Ltuo #pedcsm https://t.co/JSdnQcK5eP
Dana-Farber @danafarber
RT @BRCAWomenBC: "#Caregivers often neglect their own well-being to focus on their loved one. But it’s very important to take care of yours…
Dana-Farber @danafarber
RT @ASCOPost: Speaking about advances in #genomic sequencing in ER+ metastatic #breastcancer with @Nikhilwagle of @DanaFarber #sabcs16 http…

Republish our posts on your blog

Interested in sharing one of our stories on your blog? Feel free to republish this content! We just ask that you credit Dana-Farber, link to the original article, and refrain from making edits that change the original context. Questions? Email the editors at insight_blog@dfci.harvard.edu.