Nutrition plays a large role in our health. That’s especially true for cancer patients. Whether it is eating a diet rich in cancer-fighting nutrients or managing treatment side effects, healthy eating habits are an important part of cancer care. Dana-Farber’s free iPhone app provides recipes and nutrition information that’s helpful not only for cancer patients but for anyone who wants to follow a healthy diet.
Ask the Nutritionist: Recipes for Fighting Cancer contains more than 100 easy-to-prepare recipes ranging from nutritious snacks to main dishes and desserts. You can access a list of ingredients, directions on how to prepare the dish, a shopping list, nutrition tips, and nutritional analysis information in a standard USDA label format. New recipes are added each month.
The app, developed with Dana-Farber’s staff of registered and board-certified dietitians, is designed to help find the optimal diet for any type of cancer. You can also search by common symptoms (such as nausea or mouth sores) to help customize dietary needs while going through treatment.
“Eating a well-balanced diet is one of the best ways to lower the risk of cancer,” says Stacy Kennedy, MPH, RD, CSO, LDN, a nutritionist at Dana-Farber. “Our hope is that this app will not only be a useful tool for cancer patients and their families, but will also make choosing the healthiest foods easier and more fun for everyone.”
Some features of Ask the Nutritionist include:
- More than 100 healthy recipes
- Nutrition tips and information on cancer-fighting nutrients
- Search by symptom management
- A section for people on specialized diets, such as gluten-free, high-fiber, or immune-support diets
- The ability to create a shopping list so you never forget a key ingredient
- An “Ask the Nutritionist” function. Dana-Farber’s nutrition department will respond to questions from the app’s users.
- An extensive, searchable database of frequently asked nutrition questions and answers
The free Android version of the app is available in the Google Play store.
See the app in action below.
You can watch a presentation on fighting cancer with your fork from Dana-Farber nutritionist Hillary Wright on Dana-Farber’s Slideshare channel.